Storm damage can put your home’s structure at risk, cause costly repairs, and lessen your home’s value. So, it’s important to make repairs promptly.
If the thought of finding a trustworthy roofer and handling insurance claims seems overwhelming, we’re here to assure you that it doesn’t have to be. When you have the right information, it becomes a lot easier to do your research, file claims properly, and find a local team you can rely on to get your roof in stellar condition.
Here are some important steps to take and questions to ask roofers and insurers as you address storm damage.
What to Do Immediately after the Storm
Roof damage can occur after any type of storm, so once the weather clears, do a quick check of your property. Walk around the interior and exterior, and then take a set of binoculars and walk across the street to examine your roof safely.
- Leaks in your attic
- Stains or water streaks on ceilings or walls
- Damaged, clogged gutters
- Tree limbs fallen onto your roof
- Shingles laying on the ground around your home
- Sagging roof deck
- Cracked, broken shingles
- Dents in gutters, gutter screens, and downspouts
- Dings in siding, windowsills, and door frames
- Damage to outdoor areas, such as air-conditioning units or decks
- Chipped, broken skylights
- Indentations on vents
- Missing granules on shingles
What not to do: Don’t climb onto your roof. It can be dangerous to do so, and you can risk accidentally making damage worse.
What to do: Contact a roofing company for a professional inspection. They know what to look for and have the equipment to get onto your roof safely.
What to Ask Potential Roofers
How Big Does Hail Have to Be to Harm My Roof?
In general, hail that is one-inch (quarter-sized) or larger will damage asphalt shingles.
How Do I Find the Best Roofer In My Area?
Ask questions and do your research! Some ways to locate the right roofing company include:
- Ask friends and family who they have used, and find out how pleased they were with the results
- Notice which neighbors are having roof repairs, and ask about their experiences
- Look up local roofers on Google Maps, and check out their reviews
- Research home remodeling companies through the BBB and Angi.com
- Interview several local roofers and consider how the experience goes—Are they easy to talk with? Prompt? Detailed? Honest?
Talk with at least three companies, get estimates, and compare them. Keep in mind that cost isn’t the only factor. The roofer’s availability, track record, craftsmanship, reliability, and consistent communications all play into finding the right company to work with.
How Do I Avoid Storm Chasers?
Storm chasers are companies or individuals who show up in the aftermath of strong storms, looking to make a quick buck. They’re not reliable or trustworthy, and their work may be shoddy or even nonexistent. Here are some telltale red flags:
- The company isn’t local or has no physical address
- They lack reviews or a portfolio of successfully completed projects
- They have negative ratings or a history of complaints with the BBB
- They can’t prove they are currently insured and licensed in your area
- They’re offering an unusually low price for their work
- They want all the payment upfront (instead of asking for a down payment)
Remember, there are great local roofers you can count on to do your work completely and properly. Take time to research them until you find the right fit.
What to Discuss with Your Insurance Company
How Do I File a Claim?
Review your insurance policy and call your agent. You will need evidence of the damage (videos, photos), a list of any personal property damage, and repair estimates.
How Long Do I Have to File My Claim?
Depending on your policy and the regulations in your state, you may have 6 months to a year to file your claim. Contact your insurer to find out, but remember, it’s best to file as soon as you can.
Do You Pay the Claim Entirely Upfront, or in Partial Payments?
Many insurers pay a portion of your claim upfront, then withhold the remaining portion until the repairs are completed. This helps ensure your full deductible is paid.
What Do You Need from My Roofer?
You’ll likely need to provide an initial estimate to your insurer. But find out how specific that documentation needs to be, so you can provide it upfront to speed up the claims process.
Should I Involve My Roofer in My Claims Process?
While it’s not a requirement, it can be helpful to involve your roofer in the claims process. Teams like ours have in-depth experience working with a variety of insurance companies, and we’re happy to share our knowledge.
What to Do if You Need Roof Replacement
Sometimes, damage can be so significant—or your roof can simply be outdated enough—that replacement is a better option than repair. Ask your roofer about your options.
Will My Home Benefit from Synthetic Shingles?
Today’s synthetic roofing products offer strong, lasting protection against storms. If you currently have asphalt shingles, consider upgrading to F-Wave synthetic shingles.
- F-Wave shingles beautifully recreate the look of slate, cedar, and asphalt, without the constant need for maintenance.
- They come with an impressive WeatherForce Advantage warranty, covering damage from manufacturing defects for 50 years, as well as a 15-year non-prorated warranty on labor and material, and more.
Trusted Roofing Repairs & Replacement in the Denver Area
When it comes to your home, you deserve to know your repairs are in the hands of the very best. At Refined Exteriors, we provide top-notch exterior remodeling and upgrades that turn your property into your dream home.
Our award-winning company offers Denver homeowners:
- Beautiful, precision workmanship that boosts curb appeal
- Quality products that you can rely on for long-term performance
- Guaranteed satisfaction so you can relax and enjoy your home
We’ll make it simple for you to get the roof replacement you need. Schedule a free consultation to get started.